Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Tot School- I is for Ice Cream and Igloo

Hello!  Last week was a really busy week for us!  We were able to work on Tot School on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of last week, so we finished up our activities on Monday of this week.  It was a pretty fun week, working on I is for Ice Cream and Igloo!  Little Guy is 34 months old.


The first activity was by far the favorite activity for the week, and it came from the Spring PreK/K pack at This Reading Mama.  Its called "Roll a Rhyme."  There are 6 different pictures on each die, and then you roll the 2 dice and see if you got a rhyme.  Little Guy is not able to tell you if the words rhyme, but he loved rolling the dice (usually I rolled one and he rolled the other) and identifying the pictures.  When we did roll a rhyme, we would clap and cheer!  This was a fun and easy activity, and I think Little Guy asked to play it everyday!
The next activity was practicing shapes.  This is a printable for the letter I from 1+1+1=1.  I have never been sure how to use this type of sheet before, with all the shapes.  When I looked at Carisa's post for the letter I, I found inspiration for a way to practice the shapes.  I pre-cut all the shapes, so Little Guy's task was to glue them onto a sheet of paper.  When we worked on this activity, I had Little Guy name each shape as he glued them.  We did half one day, and half another day.
Another activity from 1+1+1=1 was sequencing.  Little Guy needed to put the numbers in order, match the sizes of the igloos, then put the corresponding number of "ice cubes" (sugar cubes) with them.  This is good one-to-one correspondence practice, as well as reinforcing the recognition of numbers.
Once again, I pulled out the pattern blocks, to be met with minimal interest.  I had the letter I and 2 insects (a butterfly and a bee).  The bee pattern is from PreKinders, the I is from Confessions of a Homeschooler, and the butterfly is from our Melissa and Doug set.  The only one Little Guy chose to complete was the bee.
I used two printables from the Romping and Roaring Letter I Pack at 3 Dinosaurs.  I pulled out some round insect stickers for Little Guy to stick to the papers.  To make the stickers easier for him to pull off, I removed all the surrounding sticker, leaving just the stickers he used on the sheet.  On one of the I's he was able to put the stickers wherever, but the other I was a do a dot page, so he had to put one sticker in each circle.
This tray was another favorite this week.  Little Guy had to match the ice cream cone to the scoop, from Busy Little Bugs.  He enjoyed matching the colors several times.  At the end of the week, he glue them onto a large I.
The last activity involved using "ice cubes" (sugar cubes) to match up to the circles on the letter I, from School Time Snippets.  I put out the tweezers for Little Guy to use, but these proved to be tricky for him.  So after he had used the tweezers to put a few sugar cubes on the I, I let him finish by using his fingers.
Even though we didn't finish in one week like planned, it was still a fun learning and working time! 

We linked up to the Tot School Gathering Place at 1+1+1=1!

No comments:

Post a Comment