Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Cloud Dough


Today we made cloud dough for the first time. I was looking for a new sensory experience for Little Guy that would also keep us busy for a little while. I used 1/2 cup oil (I used canola oil, but I bet vegetable oil would work too) and 4 cups of flour. I mixed them (until Daddy took over) with a whisk until it started to clump as it was mixed and I couldn't see any more clumps of oil. Since this made a relatively small batch, I put it in a casserole dish. I knew it would be messy, so I spread an old fitted sheet on the floor to catch any spills. (The advantage of the fitted sheet is if anything does spill, it will stay contained on the sheet and can't slide off, as I put the elastic on top.)

Here is our cloud dough on the sheet.

I put Little Guy on the floor with it and he immediately stuck his hand in! He started squishing it and burying his hand in it.

In he goes!

The cloud dough is very neat in that it clumps if you squeeze or press it, but also crumbles. Daddy even got in on the action, enjoying the cloud dough!

Daddy and Little Guy enjoyed the cloud dough!

For "tools," we used mandarin orange cups. They were fun to pack full of dough. We could have made a great "sand" castle with them, except Little Guy kept breaking them up!  Little Guy really seemed to enjoy the cloud dough, as it was a new texture and fun to play with. I think he even tasted it, but since it was just flour and oil I didn't worry.

He let me know when he was done...he turned around and sat in it!

I'm all done playing, mama!


I put the cloud dough in a zip lock bag for future use. I hope it holds up, I guess we'll see. I plan on getting it back out towards the end of the week, when it will be novel again.

In the bag, it feels similar to brown sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment