Saturday, June 15, 2013

Kool Aid Scented Playdough

One area I have started working on with Little Guy is learning his colors.   He knows some, but I want to work and play with colors.  One way we are practicing colors is with play dough, so this week we made some new play dough!  However, this is no ordinary play dough; it is scented and colored with Kool Aid!  I wanted to have the primary colors, so since we already have blue play dough, we needed yellow and red.

The recipe:
1 cup flour
1 cup water
1/4 cup salt
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 Tbls. vegetable oil
1-2 packets of Kool Aid 

Stir all the ingredients together.  Then cook over medium heat, stirring all the while, until a ball forms.  Take off the heat, put on wax paper to cool, then knead!

To make yellow, we used lemonade.  I used one packet of Kool Aid.  As I was mixing, I could tell the color would not be very vibrant, so I also added a few drops of yellow food coloring.  When it was finished, you could tell it was slight scented, but, as Daddy put it, you can't really smell the lemonade over the play dough smell.

The next day we made red.  I made a half batch of play dough and, to make sure it was well scented, I used 2 packets of strawberry Kool Aid.  The play dough came out a very dark red, and smells so yummy!

Little Guy loves to help stir!

Fresh play dough from the pot.

Knead away!

Hmmm, which color do I want to play with?

I love play dough!
This play dough was a big hit!  Not only did we get some great new colors, but the scents add a little something!  I love when Little Guy plays with it, as it is so good for the muscles in his hands!

What type of play dough have you made lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment